What’s it really like to be an Au Pair in America on a daily basis?
Because every host family is different, your daily schedule will be varied. It will depend a lot on the ages and needs of the children you are caring for and the individual requirements of your host family.
As an au pair your responsibilities are centred on the children and you won’t be expected to do heavy housework.
If the children in your family go to school then your schedule will work around those hours. If you’re caring for babies or younger children then your routine will probably be more fixed.
Not one day will be the same! That’s the great thing about caring for children and living in an amazing country with so many opportunities to travel and explore!
A day in the life of an au pair might include
- Waking the children up
- Dressing, bathing and playing with them
- Preparing their meals
- Making their beds and doing the children’s laundry
- Driving them to and from school or after school activities, play dates etc.
- Tidying up after them
- Helping them with homework
- Babysitting some evenings if the parents are out
- Being their friend and having fun!
- Sharing your own culture through songs, games, stories, cooking etc!
“Being an au pair in America gave me the opportunity to discover a new country whilst doing something I love!” Hannah Cox, 21