KIDS CULTURE CORNER
Israel is officially a Jewish state, so many of the holidays celebrated are the same as the holidays celebrated and observed by Jews all over the world. Do you know any of them? You can look for holidays and find an explanation of them on the seasonal calendar. Hint – look in December, in the fall (September or October) and also in the spring (March or April).
In addition, Israel also celebrates Independence Day, commemorating the creation of the state of Israel on May 14, 1948. In Hebrew this day is called Yom Ha’atzmaut. The anniversary is set by the Jewish calendar, so the fireworks, concerts and dancing are not always on May 14. Can you find out what day they will celebrate this year?
You can find Israeli children’s songs translated and transliterated on this site.
Try these recipes!
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 tangerines
- 3 pineapple slices
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 lb. grapes
- vinaigrette salad dressing
- curry powder
- sugar to taste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 avocados, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and divided
- Mix together the onion, mustard, honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the avocado wedges and grapefruit sections on four plates.
- Spoon the honey sauce over each portion and serve.