Resources for Current Host Families
- All au pairs are required to take 6 credits (or the equivalent of approximately 80 hours in the classroom) over the course of their year. EduCare companions are required to take 12 credits (approximately 160 hours).
- Au pairs who extend their visa are expected to take an additional 3 credits for a 6 month extension and 6 credits for a 9 or 12 month extension. Host families will pay up to $250 toward education for a six month stay and $500 for a 9 or 12 month extension on the standard and Extraordinaire programs. EduCare program families will pay $500 toward education for the 6 month extension and $1,000 for a 9 or 12 month extension.
- Classes must be taken at a university, college or continuing education program sponsored by a college. Online courses do not meet the educational requirement for au pairs. One exception to this regulation is the Department of State approved American Studies course through UCLA. This course is specifically approved for Au Pair in America and au pairs can earn 6 credits with this online course.
- Host families reimburse the cost of tuition and related materials (books and supplies) up to $500 for au pairs and up to $1000 for EduCare companions.
- Host families provide transportation including gasoline, parking, or public transportation costs (if applicable) to and from the place of instruction. The cost of transportation is in addition to the $500 (or $1,000) allocated to tuition and related fees.
- The schools vary in what courses they offer, but most offer a wide range of choices. ESL is English as a Second Language. There are usually placement exams.
- Au pairs are more likely to meet college age students at the colleges than at continuing education programs.
- Please check with your counselor before registering.