HOST FAMILY QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER
FEATURED ARTICLES IN THIS EDITION:
Announcing the Au Pair of the Year!
We are pleased to announce the 2023 Au Pair in America “Au Pair of the Year Award” Winners! This year, we received an overwhelming number of heartfelt host family nominations, each of them filled with inspiring stories about their au pair. Choosing our winners was challenging, but we are thrilled to honor and acknowledge these amazing young people.
Drumroll please…Congratulations to *Tawyny Santos* from Brazil – our First Place Winner!
Click here to read about Tawyny, along with Antonia and Ingrid, our 2nd and 3rd place finishers.
APIA Named Best Overall Au Pair Program for the Third Year in a Row!
Verywell Family is a trusted source for family and parenting information, and this prestigious award recognizes the exceptional quality of service and support that Au Pair in America has provided to families (and au pairs!) for decades. According to Verywell Family, “sometimes, the best way to receive a top-notch service is to go straight to the pioneers. In the case of au pair agencies, that means choosing Au Pair in America.”
This honor wouldn’t be possible without our amazing host families and au pairs. You make it happen with your commitment to being part of our program every day – so thank YOU for making APIA simply the best…again!
Connecting Cultures, Creating a Global Family
Every year, Au Pair in America hosts several challenges to showcase our au pairs sharing peace and understanding on their global journey!
Take a few minutes to enjoy the stories of our au pairs and host families. We couldn’t do this without you! Enjoy the success of cultural exchange by visiting www.globalawareness.com.
Au Pair in America is designated by the Department of State to sponsor au pairs on an Exchange Visitor Program intended to provide participants an opportunity to “learn about American culture, improve English language skills and to assist host families with child care while living with American families as a guest member ‘on par’ for a 12 month cultural exchange.” The government has issued regulations that establish the framework for monitoring of au pair and host family relationships. Some of the key regulations include:
- Au pairs may provide children care assistance no more than 10 hours in one day.
- Au pairs may provide child care assistance no more than 45 hours in one week.
- Au pairs must be given one full weekend off each month.
- Au pairs must be give one and a half days off each week.
- Au pairs must be given two weeks of paid vacation during a one-year placement.
The full list of regulations can be found on the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations website. The Code of Federal Regulations; au pair regulations are sited at section 62.31.
24 Hour Emergency Support is Available to YOU!
Au Pair in America is proud to offer 24 hour support to all of our program participants. If you need help and you are in a situation where you need guidance or support and cannot wait for office hours, our 24 hour emergency call center will take your call and connect your with an APIA manager. We are here for YOU! Call 1-800-928-7247.
Celebrate Spring with Earth Day
Earth Day is an annual celebration that honors the achievements of the environmental movement and raises awareness of the need to protect Earth’s natural resources for future generations.
Join in the celebrations on April 22nd, 2023. Here are some ideas to enjoy as a family; everyone can take part.
- Clean Up a Park Path, a Beach, or Some Other Outdoor Space – Bring some garbage bags and disposable gloves.
- Have a No TV Day – Encourage more time in the fresh air. Plan a family picnic in the park, go for a walk or plan some outdoor games. Think about making it a weekly family tradition!
- Plant a Vegetable Garden – Start simple by planting some fresh herbs or container plants such as tomatoes. You can start seeds in the house and then plant outside at the right time for your area.
- Transform Trash to Treasure – Have children bring in a variety of recyclable items such as milk cartons, toilet paper and paper towel rolls, egg cartons and more. Challenge their creativity to come up with new inventions and art projects with the materials.
- Make a Homemade Bird Feeder – Use recycled items such as milk cartons, toilet paper rolls or empty water bottles and make a bird feeder that both reuses materials and helps creatures of the earth.
- Craft a Nature Collage – Go on a nature walk and collect all sorts of items such as pinecones, sticks, leaves and flower petals that can be transformed into a beautiful art collage with just a little glue and construction paper.
Learn more about Earth Day here: https://www.earthday.org/
We’ve Got Swag!
Exciting news! Au Pair in America is thrilled to announce the opening of our new online shop. This online store features clothing and accessories for the whole family – baby onesies and dog bandanas too!
Have a holiday or other celebration coming up? APIA hoodies, tote bags, and hats make great gifts! Say welcome, thank you or farewell with an item from the APIA online store.
As always, we’re here to support you! Your Community Counselor is your first contact. At Au Pair in America, we take great pride in being able to provide 24-hour support to our program participants. If you cannot reach your Community Counselor and the office is closed, there is always a Regional Program Manager on call for urgent situations. To reach our after-hours emergency line, call 1-800-928-7247 and follow the prompts at the end of the message.