Tips for Host Families
- All au pairs are required to take 6 credits (or the equivalent of approximately 80 hours in the classroom) over the course of their year. EduCare companions are required to take 12 credits (approximately 160 hours).
- Au pairs who extend their visa are expected to take an additional 3 credits for a 6 month extension and 6 credits for a 9 or 12 month extension. Host families will pay up to $250 toward education for a six month stay and $500 for a 9 or 12 month extension on the standard and Extraordinaire programs. EduCare program families will pay $500 toward education for the 6 month extension and $1,000 for a 9 or 12 month extension.
- Classes must be taken at a university, college or continuing education program sponsored by a college. Online courses do not meet the educational requirement for au pairs.
- Host families reimburse the cost of tuition and related materials (books and supplies) up to $500 for au pairs and up to $1000 for EduCare companions.
- Host families provide transportation including gasoline, parking, or public transportation costs (if applicable) to and from the place of instruction. The cost of transportation is in addition to the $500 (or $1,000) allocated to tuition and related fees.
- The schools vary in what courses they offer, but most offer a wide range of choices. ESL is English as a Second Language. There are usually placement exams.
- Au pairs are more likely to meet college age students at the colleges than at continuing education programs.
- Please check with your counselor before registering.