For short term (under 12 months) au pair cost and availability, please contact our program experts at (800) 928-7247 ext. 5161 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Match Processing Fee||$475||$475||$475|
|Annual Program Fee||$9,550||$10,650||$8,600|
|Minimum Weekly Stipend*
$300.00 (for matches starting 9/1/2023)
Swipe your finger across the table above to compare information on child care.
Families living in the state of Massachusetts and California are required to follow local labor laws while hosting an au pair, including the requirement to pay local minimum wage. Additional information is provided to you on your family portal. For additional questions please contact our team at 800-928-7247.
*Au pairs must receive a weekly stipend from the host family that is no less than the amount listed above. The U.S. Department of State accounts for costs associated with weekly room and board and other Fair Labor Standards Act considerations when establishing the above minimum weekly stipend amounts for the Au Pair and EduCare programs. In addition, Department of State regulations specify that an au pair may not provide more than forty-five (45) hours of child care assistance per week in the Au Pair or Extraordinare Programs, or more than thirty (30) hours of child care assistance per week in the EduCare Program.
Note: Host families and au pairs are free to agree to compensation higher than the legally applicable minimum. A host family may not pay less than the weekly minimum stipend. Beyond private room and full board expenses, host families should remain mindful that the au pair becomes a member of the household. As such, the au pair is likely to have recurring personal needs that may include expenses for mobile phone, electronic devices and internet use, personal car use/automobile insurance and/or public transportation, toiletries, additional educational/cultural experiences, sports and recreation activities, as well as special clothing needed because of climate differences from their home country, or for sports, recreation or travel.
The au pair minimum weekly stipend, room and board, education allowance and other program elements are subject to change based on any revisions to Department of State regulations for the au pair program, or any other applicable laws or regulations. If this occurs, Au Pair in America will inform families.
Au Pairs from over 50 countries enter the United States on a 12-month visa. Upon successful completion of the first year they have the option to extend their stay for 6, 9 or 12 months. A limited number of these Year2 au pairs elect to extend their program duration with a different family. In these instances host families pay the published match processing fee and the program fee is pro-rated pending the 6, 9 or 12 month extended stay.
Program Fees do not include:
- The educational allowance for au pairs of up to $500 for the Au Pair and Extraordinaire program; and up to $1,000 for Educare.
- A $35 U.S. government required SEVIS fee is charged for every au pair arriving to your home, except in circumstances where the au pair has transferred from one family into your family.
Base program fees include:
- Recruitment, interviewing and selection of the au pair and host family
- Administrative and support services during the exchange
- Round trip transportation between designated cities abroad and the au pair orientation site
- Au pair orientation and training
- Partial J-1 visa processing
- A portion of basic medical insurance
- Personal liability coverage
- A cultural workshop for the au pair
- A cultural workshop for the host family
- Unlimited access to online resources
- Rematching service should a replacement au pair be required to fulfill a host family’s contract year.
* To maintain a uniform program fee for host families, au pairs and EduCare companions traveling to and from select cities pay a flight surcharge towards their airline cost.
Au pairs pay a program fee that, in part, covers screening and placement services, visa processing, resource materials and a portion of international flight costs from select gateways.
Additional au pair cost considerations:
Some of the things that can contribute to the overall cost of au pair services are not included in the Au Pair in America fees. The following should be considered by host families: private room and board, weekly stipend paid to the au pair/companion (see chart), automobile insurance, public transportation if not providing use of car, educational allowance towards tuition, and course materials.
Fees and the weekly au pair salary do not include the educational allowance required of all host families – $500 for Au Pair and Extraordinaire; $1,000 for EduCare. The educational component is currently under review by The Department of State. You will be advised if there is a mandated change. Match processing fee is non-refundable unless Au Pair in America can not bring in the au pair.
*A $35 U.S. government imposed SEVIS fee is charged for every au pair arriving to your home, except in circumstances where the au pair has transferred from one family into your family.
Excess airline fees: An additional fee may be imposed if air carriers levy increased fuel surcharges or new increased taxes after January 1, 2012.