AU PAIR: TRAVEL TIPS
- Please remember that if you are traveling, you should leave a number with your host family where you can be reached. If host families and Au Pairs are traveling together, please leave an emergency number with your counselor.
- Documents: If you haven’t made photocopies of your most important documents (passport and visas), remember to do so before you take those documents on a trip. In case of loss or theft, the photocopies cannot substitute for originals, but they may help you get replacement papers sooner.
- For up-to-the-minute information from the U.S. government about airports across the U.S., visit http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp.
Crime Prevention Tips for Travelers:
Please keep the following pointers in mind as you travel:
- Stay alert
- Never leave your luggage unattended
- Don’t put any valuables in luggage that you check
- Keep your travel tickets, passport and visa in a safe closed bag or pocket, not sticking out of an outter pocket
- Never carry a large amount of cash – use travelers’s checks whenever you can
- Carry your cash separate from your wallet. Keep both in an inner or front pocket
- Carry handbags and cameras close to you, not hanging by a long strap
- Don’t put valuables in an easy-to-reach backpack
Be aware of possible pickpockets. Watch for teams of two or three people, male or female, who may be:
- riding escalators repeatedly in a short period of time
- hanging around crowded areas, such as baggage carousels, newsstands, and restaurants
- changing seats or constantly walking in and out of line in waiting areas
- carrying coats or jackets over their arms
- appearing to use their hand, head or eyes to signal others or to accidentally bump into others.
If you are bumped or distracted by a stranger, be aware that a pickpocket may be targeting you. Stay alert!
Remember the THREE BASIC RULES of safety no matter where you are:
- Do stay alert. Keep your mind on your surroundings and who is around you.
- Do communicate the message that you’re calm, confident, and know where you are going. Stand tall, and walk purposefully.
- Do trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave.