Kids Culture Corner
Try this recipe for a special holiday cake. The measurements are given in both the metric system used in Romania and in US measure.
- 800 ml milk (3 ½ cups)
- 4-5 tablespoon sugar burnt
- 1 kg apple (2 ¼ pounds)
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- Vanilla (about 2 teaspoons)
- Cinnamon (about 1 teaspoon)
- Raisins (1/2 Cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Put the 4-5 tbsp. sugar in a middle size pot and let the sugar burn.
- Mix 5 eggs with 800 ml milk and with 5 tbsp sugar
- When the sugar is caramelized add the combined milk and sugar in the pot and add cinnamon, raisins and vanilla to taste
- In that milk mixture add 1 kg apple without skin and cut in medium parts.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until the top is brown.
*To Make a cake by 4 eggs:
If you make with 4 eggs, you have to separate the white part of the eggs from the yellow part.
In a bowl beat the whites until stiff but not dry. In another bowl mix the yellows with 5 tbsp sugar. Mix all that together with 5 tbsp flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Be careful and mix slowly.
Put this batter in the pot after the apples are brown. Bake in a 375 grade oven for 30 minutes or till a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Turn the pot with the cake inside an a large plate.You can decorate with whipped cream.
Submitted by Renata Moca 2003, au pair in Illinois
Nadia Comaneci, born in Romania in 1961, was the first gymnast to ever score a perfect 10 at the Olympics. Leawrn more about her by visiting the seasonal calendar.
View Au Pairs Now
Learn about becoming a host family
and view au pairs with no obligation.