Travel from Orientation
Host parents are responsible for arranging their au pair’s travel from the orientation site in Tarrytown, NY to their home. The orientation address and driving details can be found at TravelSite.
Host parents are expected to submit travel information, using the following contact information, at least 10 business days prior to their au pair’s arrival in the United States:
Au Pair in America
Attn: Orientation Travel Coordinator
9 West Broad Street
Stamford, CT 06902-3788
Tel: (203) 399-5042 or
(800) 928-7247, ext. 5042
Fax: (203) 399-5242
The importance of the ten business day lead time cannot be over-emphasized. Travel information is distributed to the au pairs early in the orientation, as they are much more at ease at orientation with their travel arrangements in hand. An au pair without a ticket will invariably worry and will not give the full attention needed to absorb information at orientation. The information from the tickets is also needed for advance planning of transportation to airports and the train station, enabling a smooth transition as the au pairs depart orientation.
- Information about e-tickets and hotel pick-up can be sent using the email address above. The au pair’s name and membership number should be included in the email.
- If the au pair is traveling by paper ticket, her membership number should be written on the ticket jacket. Au Pair in America recommends that all tickets be sent using a traceable service such as Federal Express or Certified Mail. Au Pair in America is not responsible for delayed or lost tickets sent by regular mail.
- Departures may be from LaGuardia Airport, JFK Airport, or Newark Airport only.
- The departure time for flights must be no earlier than 6:00 p.m. to allow for possible traffic delays and to provide adequate time to pass through security and check-in. If a host family purchases a flight that departs prior to 6 p.m., Au Pair in America will require that they reschedule the flight for a later departure time.
- Only fully refundable and/or changeable tickets should be purchased. Au Pair in America is not responsible for refunds or change fees resulting from a change of plans including visa delays, flight delays, and other unforeseen circumstances.
- The au pair’s name must be spelled correctly on her ticket. For security reasons, photo identification is required by airlines at check-in. If the name on the au pair’s ticket does not match her passport, she may experience difficulties at check-in.
- Au pairs must depart from the Stamford train station.
- They may only take Amtrak trains (no commuter rail). Amtrak reservations can be made by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or online at www.amtrak.com.
- Pick-up should be no earlier than 3:00 p.m.
Au pairs are given instructions at the Au Pair Orientation to contact their host family in the event of a travel delay and/or to contact Au Pair in America’s 24-hour emergency service for advice and assistance.
Due to government regulations, au pairs must complete the full orientation program; therefore, early departures from the hotel are not possible. Host families not able to arrange transportation for their au pair within the timeframes outlined above should contact the Orientation Coordinator to learn about an overnight package option.
For any questions regarding au pair travel from orientation to the host family’s community, contact the Orientation Travel Coordinator. Contact information can be found above.
View Au Pairs Now
Learn about becoming a host family
and view au pairs with no obligation.